Any Farmers/homesteaders In Here?

16 replies to this topic

#1 LovinLocks

Hobby Soaper In The House

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Are there any organic farmers in the house?

We are preparing to farm organically and welcome any and all dialogue. The target date for moving onto our land is can you say NOW, ASAP, lol.

If you get a minute, give us a cyber visit at http://www.hiphillbillyfarm.com.

Namaste,

Lovin' Locks
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks
http://www.HipHillbillyFarm.com

#2 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

I think Peggy had to go out of town, minah, but when I hear from her again, will definitely tell her about this post. Peggy had a FARM going on, including heritage veggies and alpaca! Bet she knows a lot about that subject:).

#3 Etelka

Soap Sophisticate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

Cyndi did too (Mullerslanefarm), but I haven't seen her anywhere for a long time, I miss her posts, she is very clever
Etelka
'Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

#4 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

View Postsoapaddict, on 08 October 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

I think Peggy had to go out of town, minah, but when I hear from her again, will definitely tell her about this post. Peggy had a FARM going on, including heritage veggies and alpaca! Bet she knows a lot about that subject:).

I've been practically stalking Peggy (here, FB), but no response. :frustrated
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

#5 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostEtelka, on 13 October 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

Cyndi did too (Mullerslanefarm), but I haven't seen her anywhere for a long time, I miss her posts, she is very clever
Etelka

Yes indeedy. We've connected over at Back Yard Chickens in general; and about spinning wool in particular!
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

#6 Jade

Soap Socialite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Well, we are kind of urban homesteaders. We are trying to anyway, lol. Last year we had a decent sized garden, including putting in a 30 ft long asparagus bed. Next year we will have two large gardens, I plan on having a couple of chickens, and Manthing is thinking about urban beekeeping. I also crochet, and I am wanting to look into getting a spinning wheel to spin my own fiber into yarn.

Oh, and we are going to attempt mushrooms next spring too!

#7 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

Chickens in a city??? You know, I have been AGONIZING about sneaking some chickens into my backyard... just like 2-3. It's illegal in a suburb tho, so not sure if I would get away with it, but I really really want some... are you allowed to have chickens where you are Jade??

#8 Jade

Soap Socialite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Yes, I have gleaned over the city charter and city code and I can't find anything barring us from having chickens. The only things specifically mentioned are pigs and livestock over 50 lbs. Plus...in this neighborhood....good luck taking chickens away from everyone! It seems like a lot of people around have chickens because you see them getting out occasionally. Most are good about getting rid of any roosters before they become a problem. Also, chickens are pretty quiet. If you keep your mouth shut about having them, they don't really make a whole lot of noise so I doubt anyone would know you had any.

I was thinking about us starting a blog and calling it something like ghettosteading.

I'm just taking a quick break right now. Manthing helped me move the rest of my big furniture items into the house I'm renting. It's one street over for him! So we will basically live together, but not LIVE together. We each will have our own homes, but be able to go freely back and forth between the two houses. SQUEEEEEE!!! I'm so excited.

#9 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Oooh! LOL!! Years ago, when I had my farm, we raised Auracana chickens. They do not lay all year round like the egg-bred hens do, but they are THE CUTEST things EVER, make fantastic pets, and they lay... EASTER colored eggs! Each one lays it's own color. I had greens, blues, pink with purple polka dots (no kidding), light tans. Martha Stewart raised them also, and her entire paint and color pallet was based off the colors of her hens eggs is what I read.

I ordered mine online from a mail order house... you can get a dozen for cheap. I would pay a bit more to have them pre-sexed when you order, and just get hens... because you can't tell which are roosters (males) til they get bigger, and then you have to kill them. Ugh. Yuck.

If I can get hubby to build some cages, I'm going to get 4 Auracana hens I think. But this won't be anytime soon.... maybe in a year or 2:).

#10 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Good; then you can get 'em from us, Helen. Re. the roos, uh huh, we put 'em on the table, yum yummy! DH came home today with news of our first chickens. Someone offered him 8. their biddies now and not ready to leave mamma. Bout time they're ready we will be too. Went out to the land today to spy some clearing a neighbor did for us. It's coming aloooong. We hope to move out there by 12/1.

Meanwhile we now have two APBT's to start our farm family. Check out Sajani and Blue. http://hiphillbillyf...jani-blue-play/
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

#11 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

You sound sooo excited Minah:). Chickens are a bit odd that way... you have a choice of meat birds (grow fast, so eat less so cost less) or egg birds (grow slow, eat more). Auracanas are small, so not great meat birds... and they aren't bred for egg PRODUCTION, so they don't lay year round. AND they fly, so it's hard to keep predators away from them. On the other hand, if you can keep them safe from raccoons and foxes, they are great free-ranging birds that are very close to the wild. They just like to hide their eggs in odd places and show back up one day with babies in tow (this happened to me several times).

It's cheaper in feed to buy meat birds for the table, they grow 2x faster on less feed, and have more meat. Trust me, in food, the auracana roosters will not pay off.... the only reason to get them unsexed is because every single rooster looks a little bit different, and you want them to grow up so you can pick the prettiest and funniest one to keep (that's what I did). Also, each bird has it's own personality... If you keep a lot of roosters, they will TORMENT the hens nonstop 24/7 and possibly kill them, so not a good idea to have a lot of roosters.

Helen

#12 WholeEarth

Green Goddess

• Sponsor Guide
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

View PostLovinLocks, on 18 October 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

I've been practically stalking Peggy (here, FB), but no response. :frustrated

Hey Minah!!!

Missed you G/F! I've got LOADS of tips and tricks for you!!! I'll post them here.

Here is my phone number too:
209-594-3236

xoxox
Let's Keep it Green Folks!

CO-OP OF AMERICA SEAL
WHOLE EARTH NATURAL PRODUCTS INC. CO-OP OF AMERICA APPROVED GREEN CORPORATION

Ciao' For Now!!

"Goodness is Your Nature, Flaunt it:
copyright 2005-2008 Peggy Williams All Rights Reserved

#13 WholeEarth

Green Goddess

• Sponsor Guide
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

View PostWholeEarth, on 03 November 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

Hey Minah!!!

Missed you G/F! I've got LOADS of tips and tricks for you!!! I'll post them here.

Here is my phone number too:
209-594-3236

xoxox

Wow Lyric y'all have found your little bit of heaven with the "HipBilly Farm" LOVE the name!!

I have soooo many tips and tricks and things to share with you, that I learned over the years. And things I learned the "hard way" so you won't have to hehehehe

First though CONGRATULATIONS! Taking that first giant leap into the unknown is scary biz, but y and Lee have done it!!!! It's a whole lotta work, but so worth it!!

OK, so here are the first 3 things I learned (the hard way)
1. Patience
2. Patience
3. Patience
I know it seems kinda silly, but for me these 3 things were the hardest to overcome. I mean, you've got your space, you've got the ideas flowing and you just want to "get er done'! Patience Pays. ;) You'll be able to actually do more, because you'll be working smarter.

Next thing I had to learn
1. Never walk the property at night ----- without snake boots, bright orange hunting jacket/pants, a beaming ass flashlight, a gun, a dog or two, a loud ass whistle, and a Walkie Talkie. We had coyotes and mountain lions and such, and believe me......They are NOT scared of you. Not to mention the Night Hunters, who are actually hunting. If they can't see, or hear you, you just might end up with some buckshot, bullet, or arrow. Never good. :)
2. Never turn over any rocks, wood, or debris with your hands. Critters are there and they bite. Snakes are just one of the nefarious, don't forget about the spiders, ants, possums.....well you get it, there are a bunch of critters and your hand in their territory = trouble for you.
3. Always wear snake boots, long sleeved shirts and pants that go into your boots.
4. OK, so it's like 110 degrees out and you are determined to wear shorts and no snake boots. Then at least make sure you wear light coloured socks that go up to your knees and sorry, but you're gonna have to wear long sleeves, light coloured. This way, you'll be able to see the ticks and chiggers.
5. Never open your door at night without flicking the porch light on and off a few times before you go out. This will keep the bats out of your house. When coming in the door at night from outside, wave your hand around a few times before opening the door. The bats will either stay where they are, or fly away long enough for you to get in.

OK, I'll post more for you a little later! Congratulations again and welcome to the Country!!!

xoxoxox
Let's Keep it Green Folks!

CO-OP OF AMERICA SEAL
WHOLE EARTH NATURAL PRODUCTS INC. CO-OP OF AMERICA APPROVED GREEN CORPORATION

Ciao' For Now!!

"Goodness is Your Nature, Flaunt it:
copyright 2005-2008 Peggy Williams All Rights Reserved

#14 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

View Postsoapaddict, on 28 October 2011 - 02:22 AM, said:

so not a good idea to have a lot of roosters.

Oh honey, not to worry. SOMEbody has a buncha roos near our farm (or at least it sounds like it) and I told A I am going to make a visit one day with an ax. When we're over there clearing land and such those boys are NON-STOP, geeeesh. <_<
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

#15 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

View PostWholeEarth, on 03 November 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

Hey Minah!!!

Missed you G/F! Here is my phone number too:

xoxox

Got it. Called one number I had for you a guy answered said you and daughters were out and about. I did leave my name. Anywho . . . cool beans.
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

#16 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

View PostWholeEarth, on 03 November 2011 - 01:10 AM, said:

Wow Lyric y'all have found your little bit of heaven with the "HipBilly Farm" LOVE the name!!

I have soooo many tips and tricks and things to share with you, that I learned over the years. And things I learned the "hard way" so you won't have to hehehehe

OK, I'll post more for you a little later! Congratulations again and welcome to the Country!!!

xoxoxox

Daaaayum, Peggy! Thanks 1,000,000. Anthony does constantly mention the flashlight thing. Being on the edge of the city I just try to not be out at night (well, 'cept when coming home from worship, but I'm with him and all his loud ass kids, oops, did I say that)? Anywho . . . I am surely going to print out and re-refer to this post. Geesh, dang. I am really a city girl.. I'm used to just stepping out and keeping it moving. Not any more. Also, looks like I could have kept a few of the clothing items I gave away. I had to go to S.A. to pick up some jeans. Didn't have any. Found some way cool steel toe boots online. They've got the nerve to be functional AND cute with their olive green, suede-looking selves. I've been using this one shirt when we go over to the land to do work that's DH's. I've obviously got to get my own long-sleeve shirts. I guess Green Acres we're a coming. Or rather, Hip Hillbilly Farm!

Oh, on Facebook I'm Siobhan Higgins. I sent a friend request, hint-hint.

When we finally get a milk cow (and I read they must be milked 2 a day, 12 hours apart which means being out there in the dark either first thing or last, rolling my eyes); I'll be a weighed down with all the artillery on the way to the pasture or wherever the heifer will be milked :horse . I'm starting to think I can thank goodness we only have two acres and not 100 now.
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

#17 LovinLocks

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

And how 'bout those skeeters! Dang. Just in from taking the puppies out on a romp and the skeeters have been tearing me up for a couple months. Dang, I must have gotten bit at least four times just now.

Gotta go :headscratch
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name