- - - - -

Colored Glass

1 reply to this topic

#1 starkwe

Bath Foam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Where do the beautiful colors come from in borosilicate glass? Can I make them myself at home?

#2 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:27 PM

What a great question! And hi Pegi, glad you are here!

I have some info in my notes about that.. you CAN make your own colors, but it's way easier to color glass by buying it made, because making it could produce more toxic fumes, plus getting perfect consistency is harder without a very large kiln/glory hole to melt everything down with. The mixing is the worst. Handmixing is tedious and difficult and takes a long time. Sometimes I think glass is sooo much like soap, it's funny. The textures and consistencies can be really similar when glass is in a molten stage.

Here are the metals used to produce stable colors (got this from: http://geology.com/a...-in-glass.shtml )
Metals Used to Color Glass:

The recipe for producing colored glass usually involves the addion of a metal to the glass. This is often accomplished by adding some powdererd oxide, sulfide or other compound of that metal to the glass while it is molten. The table below lists some of the coloring agents of glass and the colors that they produce. Manganese dioxide and sodium nitrate are also listed. They are decoloring agents - materials that neutralize the coloring impact of impurities in the glass.

Metals Used to Impart Color to Glass

Cadmium Sulfide Yellow Gold Chloride Red Cobalt Oxide Blue-Violet Manganese Dioxide Purple Nickel Oxide Violet Sulfur Yellow-Amber Chromic Oxide Emerald Green Uranium Oxide Fluorescent Yellow, Green Iron Oxide Greens and Browns Selenium Oxide Reds Carbon Oxides Amber Brown Antimony Oxides White Copper Compounds Blue, Green, Red Tin Compounds White Lead Compounds Yellow Manganese Dioxide A "decoloring" agent Sodium Nitrate A "decoloring" agent

Widely Known Glass Colors:

Some colors of glass are widely known. Perhaps the best example of this is "cobalt blue" that is produced by adding cobalt oxice to the glass melt. "vaseline glass" is a fluorescent yellow-green glass that contains small amounts of uranium oxide. "Ruby gold" and "cranbery glass" are red glasses produced by the addition of gold. "Selenium ruby" is a red color caused by the addition of selenium oxide and "Egyptian blue" is produced by the addition of copper.

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name