The Herbarie's Cera Bellina

7 replies to this topic

#1 mixingitup

Soap Guru

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

So I went shopping at The Herbarie the other day to replenish my surfactant supplies and now I have a neat little sample of Cera Bellina.

http://www.theherbar...ina-pr-495.html

Since I only bought 1oz (what was I thinking?!). there isn't going to be too much experimenting going on. I love gels... can't decide if I want to gel a body butter, lotion, cream...??? I sure wish I would have bought more.

Anyone here have any experience with this?
Mixin'

#2 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Interesting! I haven't tried a lot of the newer products that have been put out in the last few years. I think 1 oz is plenty to test tho, especially in a cream/lotion, where the water is such a huge %.

Why not figure out the ratio you'd use, and pull out a single bottle worth to add that % to so you can directly compare? (lotion without on left leg, lotion with on right leg). That way you can see the difference immediately? I'm curious how it turns out too:).

#3 mixingitup

Soap Guru

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Helen, first off... I can't find my gram scale; it has completely disappeared. I have no idea where I put it and why I would have put it somewhere other than where it stayed for the last 6 years.

So, I bought a new one and it arrived yesterday. :bjump:

In the meantime, I thought: "Hey, why not just add some Cera Bellina to a little finished lotion, heat it all up again and see what happens??!!" Of course, nothing happens, except it melts and then makes little solid pools on top when it cools.

That surprised me a bit; I assumed the emulsifier would be able to emulsify the new addition. So why didn't it? Was there not enough of it or is an emulsifier spent after the original emulsifying?

Then, I experimented with it and jojoba for a salt scrub. Since I was only adding it by 1/8 tps, I wasn't sure what % I was adding. It did thicken somewhat... but to be honest, I wasn't even sure what I wanted the end product to be like.

Now that I have a gram scales, I might be able to do some accurate experimenting.
Mixin'

#4 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:38 AM

Hrm, that doesn't sound right. Unless you don't use emulsifier, it should still emulsify... I ALWAYS dump oils in at the end, because I'm not going to cook things like rosehip (vitamin C breaks down at low temps), apricot kernel, evening primrose, or even my EO and preservative into the hot lotion.

I add these oils like 'superfat', after cooldown I stick blend. So if you added it hot, there's no reason it shouldn't emulsify. I'm always stingy on the emulsifier too. Now when I add these oils, they do not WANT to blend, so I'm stickblending for a while, and some of the time, they are held in suspension probably because the molecules got broken up so much. The other thing I have done, is stick the lotion into the fridge or freezer after I stick blend if I'm worried it won't stay together (only did this once). I don't know why it wouldn't just add in, but I've never used it before.

I always try to stay away from less natural ingredients, and while I know the stuff's beeswax... it's still a chemically refined process. I mean I still smoke cigarettes, but you won't see me trying to refine the nicotine to eat. Mostly because 1 drop of pure nicotine will kill an elephant. If it won't work in your formula and the stuff is itself a stabilizer... I'd say it doesn't work. If you need a thickener, have you tried tapioca, guar or xanthum gum:)?

#5 mixingitup

Soap Guru

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Helen, my experiment was a bad one to begin with. I just took some already made lotion, added some Cera Bellina, reheated, hand stirred and let it cool. The next time I try it, I'll do it right.

I have experimented with the gums. I tried one of The Herbarie's hair setting gel formulations and my friend thought it was better than any she bought from the hairdresser.
Mixin'

#6 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

Ahh. I've never tried any of the Herbarie's formulations. Not saying they aren't good, but the point of making it yourself is it's natural. If there were a product on the market I'd want to buy, I wouldn't make it, I'd just buy it because I'm lazy like that:P. But... I think my stuff's better anyway. Also, I don't use a whole lot of products to begin with. I wouldn't know what to do with setting gel for example... all I do is wash my hair with shampoo, I don't use conditioner either. I guess that's because I'm born with hair I don't have to do anything with, it just sits there, and the only time I think about hair is when I need a cut:).

Skincare is the same way, I put some cream on when I feel dry, but otherwise, I just use soap. It takes me a year to get through 2 oz of any skin product, mostly because I just forget about it. I REALLY think handmade soap makes a difference to your skin, and that commercial products are made in such a way that you have to use more and more of it, or how do they make money? I have never had a pimple problem (tho I've had the occassional zit ) and even when I was really young, people thought I wore foundation when I wore nothing, because my skin was so even toned. I'm convinced less is more, and I still am.

#7 soapbuddy

Saponista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

I want to try this at some point to add to my serum, which has no water. You think that would work?

#8 LovinLocks

Hobby Soaper In The House

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Researching how to make lip gloss/balms I just found out about this product. Seems good as it is supposed to add "stability preventing crystal/grains, etc."

One thing, I noticed a lot of lip balms out there are "vegan". I'm wondering how this fits with that description? On I research.
Namaste,

Lovin' Locks
http://www.HipHillbillyFarm.com

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name