Question About Clear Glass

soft glass lampworking

4 replies to this topic

#1 GwensGems

Bath Foam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

I have a question, about clear glass. I heard there was a new clear glass, that doesn't get that scummy look to it. Has anyone else heard of it, or used it. If so who sells it?

#2 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

I've heard about that... but not being much of a soft glass person... I am not sure what it is... I hope one of the glassy people see this.

#3 Meow Meow Beads

Bath Foam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hi Gwen
There are several soft clear glasses on the market. The newest one is the diamond clear. It is put out by Precision glass. I use 591006-04 Effetre Super Clear Transparent Glass Rods COE 104, compatible with our other COE 104 glass. and it id put out at www.frantzartglass.com
I havent found anything that it is not compatible with for real, except glass that is not 104. But it can be used with frit that is 96. Does that help?

#4 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

Well heck, I have a question too:P. I have old Effetre clear, that's what I use. It doesn't LOOK all that clear, it's got a yellowish tone to it, very different from boro clear. I can also see smut and scratches on the rods. Yet it seems to melt VERY clear for encasing. Do you think I have Effetre super clear??

I got most of my soft glass in one gigantic batch from a hobbyist selling out all her glass. The clear was never labeled, so I have no clue what it is. Does super clear look like boro or is it yellowish too? It's so yellow, I can't tell the difference between the clear and Lt yellow or even Uranium yellow. In bad light, I actually grabbed a stick of Uranium yellow to encase, and ended up with almost kryptonite green glow over soft silver glass. It was awful, and the bead I messed up was HUGE. LOL! What a waste of glass. So I wondered if these top new clears were like boro... crystal clear?

#5 GwensGems

Bath Foam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Meow,

Diamond clear is what I heard. The regular clear I always had a problem with. I'm not the only one. I've heard it from lots of people. So glad they came up with something better. I will have to order some. I think I'll use the old stuff to pull frit stringers, or unless someone has a better idea.

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name