←  All Off-Topic

Soapers Asylum

»

My New Baby

dalilavender's Photo dalilavender 28 Apr 2008

I wanted to show you my new baby.

It is a mahogany kayak w/ my DH is building for me.

Posted Image

I love them both immensely. :D

mixingitup's Photo mixingitup 28 Apr 2008

Ooooohhhh, very nice!!! I have never been kayaking even though there is a place a couple of miles away that rents them for river trips. I might be gettin kind of old now, though, although as long as I kept one foot on the bank I might be ok. And don't get upsidedown.

Where will you be taking that baby when it's done?

dalilavender's Photo dalilavender 28 Apr 2008

I live right by Burrard Inlet and can put in at a marine park about 5 minutes away.

I can also put in at Port Moody, Deep Cove etc.

We try to go to a wooden boat festival in Port Townsend every year, so it will go there as well.

Pretty anywhere I can get in, it will be going. I love it! It is my salvation.

soapaddict's Photo soapaddict 29 Apr 2008

OOOH! WOW!!!

Wanna trade my slovenly lazy hubby for yours:)?

sweetgrass's Photo sweetgrass 29 Apr 2008

Oh how nice ! :D :D

My son has done some kayaking. Not me though. I would be afraid I would tip over and be stuck that way.

deb12c's Photo deb12c 29 Apr 2008

Very nice! I used to date a guy that like to go kayaking but I was always afraid to. If I tipped over I don't know if I could do what you are supposed to do with the paddles to get upright again lol

dalilavender's Photo dalilavender 29 Apr 2008

Helen,

I would hate to take your husband away from you, so I will have to pass on your offer. :D

I taught Kayaking and Canoeing to kids and adults when I was younger, and found that getting stuck under the water in a kayak is a common fear.

I also found that most people have a huge aversion to drowning upside down, so they figure out how to get out of the boat fairly easily and quickly. :D

After which teaching them to self rescue and roll is pretty easy.

deb12c's Photo deb12c 29 Apr 2008

I love Canoeing but haven't done it is such along time.

Laura B.'s Photo Laura B. 03 May 2008

WOW!!

WOW!!