Downer Cows

2 replies to this topic

#1 mixingitup

Soap Guru

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

I haven't climbed up on my soapbox for a while; I even let the big fiasco with the recalled beef (downer cows) pass by. I see the owner of the company had some issues while under oath: http://www.organicco...ticle_10860.cfm until he saw the

video that showed employees kicking or using electric prods on "downer" cattle that were too sick to walk, jabbing one in the eye with a baton and using forklifts to push animals around. One tape showed a worker using a garden hose to try to squirt water up the nose of a downed cow, ...a second video in which a "downer" cow was shocked and abused by workers trying to move it to the "kill box," then finally shot with a bolt gun and dragged by a chain to the processing area.

I cannot say how much I detest the greed that pushes people to treat animals in such an inhumane way; I saw the tv report of the cattle being hosed, poked, forklifted... which angered me to my core.

But I was just over at the organic consumer site and read this article: http://www.organicco...ticle_10848.cfm about Dr. Michael Greger calling for all downed cattle to be barred from our food supply.

there's no reason to prolong their misery and torment them in the hopes of squeezing money out of their crippled bodies.

This quote is just plain sad and is what prompted me to comment.
Mixin'

#2 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ugh... I totally agree. Just because we eat them after they're dead doesn't mean their lives have to be misery and torture. Nor should it be.

#3 mixingitup

Soap Guru

• Asylum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Did you see the horrible reports on tv when this first happened?
Mixin'

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name