Liquid Silk in Lotion

5 replies to this topic

#1 lotionlady

Soap Socialite

• Sponsor Guide
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

Has anyone ever noticed any kind of a smell from using Liquid Silk in lotion. I have a batch that has a really sour scent and there's nothing I did differently except add 1% liquid silk. Very disappointing.
Walk Softly, Live Gently, Breathe Deeply
Harmony Soaps & Scents
Member Coop America Business Network

#2 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

I haven't used that in years, but I recall that I stopped using it because it didn't smell good, and added nothing I could notice:).

Another thing that I DID notice, but also stopped using, were the hydrolyzed wheat/oat stuff. They too went bad way too fast, although they did add some extra emolliency.... which you can get from just subbing glycerin, which does NOT go bad:).

#3 lotionlady

Soap Socialite

• Sponsor Guide
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

Oh, bummer. I just ordered some VenaSilk from The Herbarie. She said it works really well with NatraMulse and I'm revisiting that emulsifier. Seems like it would help with greasiness as well. Did you notice that?
Harmony Soaps & Scents

#4 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:00 AM

No, I didn't... if you need help with greasy, get natrasorb... that's what it's designed to do, encapsulate the grease:P. Natrasorb is also a wheat product, get details (and free samples) from National Starch, but because it's a powder and not a liquid, it has longer storage potential.

#5 lotionlady

Soap Socialite

• Sponsor Guide
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

I've heard you can add Natrasorb to the final product. How much do you think you'd need. Just a sprinkle? I use it in my body powder but never tried it in lotion.
Harmony Soaps & Scents

#6 soapaddict

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:48 AM

I don't mind greasy lotions, so I don't use it, but I recall it was around 1 tsp per lb? There should be a recommended amt on the National Wheat and Starch website. I think it's a pretty good product, not just for greasy but also for scent encapsulation (burst of fragrance when rubbed on).

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name